Careers/Higher Education Support
Careers Adviser at school
- Students can get support from the Careers Advisers. They visit school regularly to offer advice and guidance on further education, higher education at university, internships, employment, and work based training opportunities and apprenticeships.
- Careers Adviser also provide inset sessions to update teachers about new initiatives in Careers Progression and Progression routes.
- Students in 6th form get the opportunity to discuss higher education related issues including student’ loans, scholarships, grants as well as alternative careers progression routes.
- They deliver sessions on various occupational topics and the opportunities available both locally and nationally.
- All statement students will have a one to one guidance interview with an Adviser to discuss their Moving on Plan. After the interview the Advisers draw up an S139, which is a transition document for the student to take to the new providers.
Higher Education Fair
The school hosts an annual HE Fair at the start of year 13 to get students prepared and ready for the transition on to university. We invite representatives from universities across the country to speak with the students and answer any questions they may have about specific universities, or about university in general.
Students find the HE Fair to be a great help with the university application process.
“I found out useful information about university and the lifestyle and atmosphere.”
“I found out information on students finance are and the different types of finances which you are entitled to.” Mohamed
“I found talking to representatives useful as they explained the difference between certain and what the courses are about.” Suhena Begum
“University representatives were able to answer my questions and were informative in a simple and clear manner.” Amirjan Begum
“The conversation with the representative bought to light a course I would like to do which I was unaware of beforehand.” Aimee Watson
Whatuni is a comprehensive university comparison website with advice and useful search functions that help students tailor their search for courses and universities. Students can also use Whatuni to access open day information, request prospectuses and see thousands of student reviews to make informed decisions on their university choices.